It has been known for some time that Carl Crawford needs Tommy John surgery, but we haven't known if it would be definite. Now we know Carl is going to follow doctor's orders and has opted for the surgery.
“Carl intends to follow the course recommended by the medical professionals who have been treating him, in whom he has full confidence,” agent Brian Peters wrote. “Whether and when he has surgery will be determined by them. The Red Sox have been and remain 100 percent supportive of Carl throughout this process.”
Earlier yesterday, an unnamed source told the Boston Globe that Crawford intends to request permission next week to have Tommy John surgery to repair a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament, ending his season and likely keeping him sidelined for part of 2013.
The earlier the better for Carl. I think we can all agree that the season is lost and the less time lost next season is the better option. If you disagree, you can agree that if the club turns it around, Carl Crawford would not be the deciding factor in that comeback.
If Carl waits until the end of the season, we could have another situation where we won't see him until after the All-Star break and beyond.
The Sox have stated that they would be supportive if Crawford decides to shut it down. Of course they would be supportive so they can get the most out of him in the future rather lose another season to injury.