Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here... highlighting the big storyline. Because there's nothing quite as satisfying as a good morning dump.
The latest intrigue: according to a report in the New York Daily News,
backup catcher Kelly Shoppach, using teammate Adrian Gonzalez's phone, sent the infamous text message requesting a meeting with team owners last month in New York.
That might explain Shoppach's sudden trade to the Mets last week that came just after Yahoo! Sports broke the story of the text message and the contentious meeting in New York, where players allegedly told owners that they didn't want to play for manager Bobby Valentine.
The Daily News said it was told by three sources that Shoppach was "deeply involved" in writing the text message that started yet another controversy in a year full of them in Valentine's first season with the team.
Other sources cited that Shoppach was dissatisfied with his playing time earlier in the season. So it makes perfect sense that he has to use Adrian's phone, because he probably couldn't make a timely cell phone payment because of his lack of PT.
Of all the people to be most vocal, it was the back-up catcher. Could it explain the trade? Maybe. Ryan Lavarnway was a better reason to trade Kelly Shoppach. Younger, better bat, makes more sense to trade Shoppach and his loud mouth to the ultimate dysfunctional organization, the Mets.
Could Kelly Shoppach be taking the heat for Gonzo? Maybe. Or, is Shoppach that much of a dick, that he used Gonzo's phone and would let him take the heat? Likely, yes. He could have used his own phone, but why do that.
Someone who had nothing to do with last season's collapse and controversy, caused some this season. So, cleaning house and trying to cut ties with those who had something to do with the 2011 collapse may not be the answer. At least Shoppach is out, but the story is far from dead.
Related: Herald: Report: Shoppach sent text | Globe: Report: Kelly Shoppach was behind text message to Red Sox owners
On Page 2, We will see Daniel Bard again this season
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said reliever Daniel Bard will rejoin the club from Triple-A Pawtucket, perhaps before the Sept. 1 date in which rosters can be expanded.
"We have to figure out what is the right time," the GM said, "but he has to be back here."
He also said it was unlikely that shortstop Jose Iglesias, projected to contend for the starting job next season, would be promoted before Sept. 1.
"We're getting good production out of shortstop," he said.
ESPN Boston: Sox will recall Bard this season
I do not feel good about seeing Daniel Bard in Boston later in the season, no matter what state the team is in. He has plain sucked in Pawtucket, where he is trying to build confidence and shake whatever has plagued him.
In Pawtucket, Bard is 2-2, with a 7.45 ERA. Let's break that down. Bard has pitched a total of 29 innings for the Pawsox, giving up 28 runs (24 earned), on 26 hits (2 HR), while walking 29 and striking out 30. Yeah, he has almost as many walks as strikeouts.
A Bard recall will not be a pretty sight for the Red Sox this season and they will have to make a difficult decision as to what they will do with Bard in the off-season. I really hope he can shake this off and return to pre-2012 form.
On Iglesias, not calling him up will be a great idea. He is not big-league ready.
The rest of the links:
Herald: Sox plent Lucky to have him | Red Sox' Yale contingent helps Jon Lester break through | Daniel Bard battling to return to majors | ESPN Boston: Cherington 'not itching' for more trades | Ciriaco makes good with bad (pitches) | Globe: Lester, Gonzalez lead Red Sox over Yankees 4-1 | Finally, the all-Yale battery of Breslow and Lavarnway | Farrell not commenting about the Red Sox | CSNNE: Astros fire manager Brad Mills after less than three seasons | Ciriaco (4-for-4) solidifies reputation as Yankee-killer