With the talks of the possibility of bringing in Brian Wilson and questions surrounding his own health, Andrew Bailey doesn't plan on going anywhere. He is confident enough that he has what it takes and he will be ready as the Sox' closer on opening day.
Bailey, limited by injuries to just 15 1/3 innings last season, said he plans to come to camp assuming that he is the team's closer.
"I think I have to," he said. "Right now I would think I'm the only guy in that role. They traded for me for a reason. Last year was very frustrating on a lot of counts. Even when I was healthy, I didn't do my job to my full expectations or the organization's expectations. I'm taking that into my offseason workout, knowing that I've got to hammer down games for this organization and this team and we've got to get to the playoffs.
"That's where my mindset is, and anything else happens, I'm just looking forward to throwing a lot of innings this year. My performance last year, I'll be the first to say wasn't who I was and wasn't anything I was proud of. This year I'm going to go out and do my job. I'm looking forward from Day 1 to the end of the World Series pitching for this organization."
If it were between the two, you have to go with Andrew Bailey. He is younger, healthy (for now), and is already here. It is hard to make assumptions with Andrew Bailey, and Brian Wilson, given their medical history. Bailey could look great until March 29, then injury 52 of his career could occur. With him, we have to take the wait-and-see approach and, well, wait and see if he stays healthy.